Paul Henry to replace Nightline

20131101-181057.jpg

In the wake of recent speculation, TV3 wishes to confirm that late night bulletin 3 News: Nightline will take a break at the end of this year.

In 2014, TV3 will be taking a new approach to late night news with The Paul Henry Show, which will see Paul wrapping up the day’s events every weeknight at 10.30pm.

The Nightline brand remains a valued part of the 3 News stable and will sit in reserve for future years.

The change will result in an overall increase in headcount. Most staff associated with Nightline already work across 3 News’ stable of programmes, and some may work on The Paul Henry Show, which will have a strong news component.

Director of News and Current Affairs, Mark Jennings says: “Nightline has been a great programme for us over many years and produced some of our best broadcasters, but the landscape is due for change and Paul Henry will lead that change in later evening viewing.”

Nightline returns

Nightline – the country’s favourite late-night news show with the perfect mix of informative and entertaining content returns for a whole new year on Monday, January 7th at 10:30pm on 3.

If you’re not home in time for the award-winning 3 News at 6pm, then Nightline provides a more suitable time to sit back, relax and enjoy the latest news and entertainment from around the world.

Don’t miss all the breaking late-night news and must-see entertainment when the high-rating Nightline returns on Monday, January 7th at 10:30pm on 3.

– MediaWorks

Nightline returns tonight

Nightline – the country’s favourite late-night news show with the perfect mix of informative and entertaining content returns for a whole new year on Monday, January 9th at 10:30pm on 3.

Nightline is New Zealand’s most watched late night news programme and prides itself on providing viewers with the most up-to-the-minute news stories from New Zealand and around the world.

The late-night news show also features a stimulating blend of arts and cultural content, giving voice to rising artists as well as the industry’s more well known and established faces.

So if you’re not home in time for the award-winning 3 News at 6pm, then Nightline provides a more suitable time to sit back, relax and enjoy the latest news and entertainment from around the world.

Make sure not to miss Nightline when the late-night new show returns to our screens on Monday, January 9th at 10:30pm on 3.

Nine axes Nightline (again)

Channel 9 Australia has axed ‘Nightline’ for the second time in two years.

The late night news show was pulled in 2008 but returned in November last year.

According to reports, the  host Kellie Connolly has been offered a redundancy package, but it is not known if she has accepted the offer.

SKY News CEO Angelo Frangopoulos told The Australian that SKY News might be interested in picking up Kellie Connolly.

“We’re investing in news and current affairs; I thought Nine said they were, too. What happened to that commitment?’’ ’’ he said.

The decision leaves Channel 9 without a late night news programme with a Federal Election just around the corner.

– Dan News

Flashback video: Nightline 20th Anniversary Special

To celebrate 20 years of Nightline the late night news show is screening an hour-long 20th Anniversary Special on Friday, May 7th at 10:30pm on 3.

“Nightline was started 20 years ago by the then head of News and Current Affairs, Rod Pederson,” explains Nightline Executive Producer Mark Graham.

“His directive to Susan Baldacci, the producer who first got it off the ground, was that he wanted a show that was a bit ‘off’,” Graham continues, recalling the history of the show.

“With the original team of Joanna Paul as the presenter, Belinda Todd with her quirky, humorous and sassy style and Bill Ralston with his no holds barred political satire, Rod Pederson certainly got what he wanted.”

Now 20 years later Nightline is turning 20; “We are having an hour long birthday special, screening on Friday May 7th at 10.30pm,” Graham explains.

“As well as talking to all of the original team in our live broadcast from an Auckland hotspot, we will also be interviewing other members of the Nightline team who’ve contributed both in front of and behind the camera over the last 20 years.”

When asked about the familiar faces audiences can expect to see, Graham reveals: “Former presenters Leanne Malcolm, Carolyn Robinson, Carly Flynn and Samantha Hayes will all be joining our current presenter Rachel Smalley.”

As well as this, the Special will also be looking back at all the cutting edge Nightline moments from over the last 20 years.

“We will also be looking at all those moments that just scrapped past the Broadcasting Standards Authority with the likes of David Farrier and current Arts and Entertainment reporter Ali Ikram,” Graham continues, adding: “Legendary music journalist Dylan Taite will also be remembered for his substantial contribution to the show.”

Make sure not to miss this when Nightline celebrates its 20th birthday in style with an hour-long 20th Anniversary Special screening on Friday, May 7th at 10:30pm on 3.

Check out this ‘Before and After’ video of Nightline:

And a problematic start to Nightline in 1996 for Leanne Malcolm:

3 News, Campbell Live and Nightline all win in key demo – TV3

3 News, Campbell Live and Nightline all had strong nationwide wins against competing shows in the all important 18-49 demographic in January, retaining the competitive lead they held in December.

3 News held its lead over ONE News nationally during the January period from December, ending the month in the 18-49 demographic with a 28.9% share, versus ONE News and their 25.4% share.

In the 18-49 Auckland Urban demographic, 3 News increased its share by 1.6% to 31.6, whereas ONE News ended the January period significantly lower at 16.2%, down 26.0%.

And in the key ONE News 25-54 Auckland Urban demographic, 3 News remains significantly ahead with an increase of 2.9% to 31.7, with ONE News lagging behind on 19.7%, down 21.5%.

Campbell Live also grew its ratings share in the key 18-49 demographics during January compared to December, with a healthy 7.1% increase to a 16.5% share. This is compared to Close Up’s negative -8.0%, down to 16.1%. In TV ONE’s key 25-54 Auckland Urban demographic, Campbell Live increased by 41.2% to a 16.8 share, leaving Close Up trailing with a 9.6% share, down by 30.4%.

Mark Jennings, TV3’s Director of News and Current Affairs comments, “Campbell Live kicked off the year with some superb coverage of the Auckland power crisis, a story which Close Up ignored until the next day. The show also gained exclusives with key players in the developing story involving Robin Brooke. Viewer feedback has been very strong and we continue to out-rate Close Up in our key demographic.”

Nightline also continued steady growth in all key demographics, easily winning the all important 18-49 demographic nationwide with a 22.7% share, up 7.6% month on month. Tonight lagged behind with a 16.3% share. Nightline also beat Tonight in its own target demographic of 25-54, ending January at a 23.1% share, up 5.5% – compared with Tonight’s 18.4% share.

Nightline’s win in the 18-49 demographic gives them a lead by an impressive 39% margin against Tonight. Nightline is also ahead by a margin of 26% in Tonight’s own demographic of 25-54.

Nightline enjoyed strong growth in the 18-49 Metro, 18-49 Auckland Urban, 25-54 Metro, and 25-54 Auckland Urban demographics.

– TV3