Sydney Oprah House: Oprah to broadcast from Sydney

Talk show queen Oprah Winfrey has announced she will broadcast a special show from the Opera House in Sydney, Australia.

Winfrey will be taking up to 300 studio audience members with her, but don’t worry there will be room for Australians (and New Zealanders) to join in on the entertainment.

On the premiere of her 25th and final season which aired Monday, Winfrey made the announcement which you can watch below.

John Travolta will fly Oprah and her audience over on a special QANTAS flight.

Oprah will be in Sydney on December 13 and 14.

Are you planning on going? Get in touch with Dan News.

– Dan News

60 Minutes investigation unmasks senior Defence Force official as a cheat and liar

Last night a 60 Minutes investigation unmasked a senior Defence Force official as a CV cheat and liar.

The official, whose position requires him to have one of the highest security classifications, has made wild claims about his background, including that he had a distinguished combat career and was an Olympian.

He was hired by the NZDF despite having been pushed out of a series of jobs.

60 Minutes reporter Paula Penfold went undercover to expose the official’s lies. Armed with what he’d told her, 60 Minutes was able to check his employment history going back 20 years.

The programme revealed:

– how the official has claimed to have been a member of the British Olympic bobsleigh team in the 1980s. No one from the team or the British Bobsleigh Association has ever heard of him.

– Despite his claims to have been a Royal Marine, no record of him ever having been so exists. No evidence supports his claims to have been decorated in battle either.

– Despite what he says on his CV, his employment history going back to 1990 is far from impressive with previous employers concerned about his dishonesty and lack of performance.

– He vanished from one chief executive role after being challenged about the veracity of his background.

– Immediately before rising to his current job leading 80 people, he was chief executive of a small Australian housing company in charge of about 10 people. They jokingly called him a rocket scientist because of what he’d told them about his past.

The official solely represents New Zealand on a strategic international defence committee. A former employee told 60 Minutes the official is not capable of doing the job and is damaging New Zealand’s defence relationships with its allies.

Other people who have had dealings with him in the past tell the programme they cannot believe he holds the position he does.

So how did he get such a senior role in the New Zealand Defence Force?

Watch here.

– TV3

Sean Plunket joins Newstalk ZB

The Radio Network has today announced Sean Plunket as the new local host of Newstalk ZB, Wellington’s flagship weekday morning show (8.30am-midday).

He will take the microphone in January replacing current host Justin du Fresne who announced his retirement last week.

Sean Plunket is excited about his new role.

“I’m really looking forward to the challenge of filling Justin’s shoes and connecting with the people of Wellington where I’ve lived and worked my whole life.”

“Newstalk ZB is part of the fabric of the city and I’m excited about providing the people of the region with a forum to share their ideas, passions and outrages on a daily basis.”

“It’s great to have Sean join Newstalk ZB. He has strong perspectives and is not afraid of asking the hard questions. We look forward to the contribution he will make,” said John McElhinney Chief Executive of The Radio Network.

“Sean is a multi-award winning broadcaster in both television and radio and we’re delighted to have him joining us. His first day on Newstalk ZB will be Tuesday 25 January 2011,” said Jason Pine, Operations Manager of Newstalk ZB, Wellington.

Sean Plunket is a veteran of 26 years in the broadcasting industry, and has held several high-profile roles in both radio and television, most recently as presenter of RNZ’s “Morning Report”.
-Radio Network

Weekend news ratings

TELEVISION NEWS VIEWERSHIP FOR SATURDAY 4th SEPTEMBER 2010

ONE News: 902,500
3 News: 308,792

There was a lot of interest in the Canterbury earthquake from right across the country.

Over 2,000,000 (two million) viewers tuned in to TV ONE’s continuous coverage at some stage between 8am – 7:30pm on Saturday.

* Source: AGB NMR (Measurement: All people 5+ nationwide – average daily reach – or total viewers who tuned in for 15 mins or more during the programme)

TELEVISION NEWS VIEWERSHIP FOR SUNDAY 5th SEPTEMBER 2010

Q+A (9-10:30am Quake Special): 131,300 (total viewers who tuned-in to Q+A 359,300*)
The Nation (8-10am Quake Special): 88,300 (total viewers who tuned-in to The Nation 308,900*)

ONE News: 822,109
3 News: 405,039

* Source: AGB NMR (Measurement: All people 5+ nationwide – average daily reach – or total viewers who tuned in for 15 mins or more during the programme)

– TVNZ

7 Days returns

“It’s a Gas”, “Laugh-out-loud funny”, “professional idiots”. These are just some of the things people have said about 7 Days.

Now 7 Days is back! This week sees the much anticipated return of Jeremy Corbett and his two teams of “professional idiots” when 7 Days screens on Friday, September 10th at 9:30pm on 3.

So what can we expect from 7 Days now that it’s back after a well deserved five week mid-season break? “The news changes every week, but 7 Days is staying refreshingly the same,” reveals 7 Days producer Jon Bridges.

“The same Jeremy Corbett at the helm, with the same lovable team leaders Dai Henwood and Paul Ego, along with some increasingly familiar characters like Ben Hurley, Steve Wrigley, Jeremy Elwood, Michele A’Court and Cori Gonzalez-Macuer.”

Sounds like everything fans love about 7 Days!

Make sure not to miss it when the series returns on Friday, September 10th at 9:30pm on 3.