UPDATED: Australian media are reporting that Network TEN are to dump Kyle Sandilands from his position as Judge on Australian Idol. Simon Fuller reportedly felt the “rape radio” incident risked damaging Idol’s international brand.
Yesterday Austereo announced the Kyle and Jackie O radio show had been suspended indefinitely.
In a statement released this evening Austereo said:
“Kyle Sandilands’ management has advised Austereo that he is unable to perform his duties on-air at this time. Further, following a great deal of consideration and having consulted Jackie O and all stakeholders, Austereo has formed the view that it is in the interest of all parties, for the Kyle & Jackie O Show to go into recess until we have completed an across-the-networks review of the principals (sic) and protocols of our interaction with our audience. This review commenced last Wednesday 29 July 2009.”
Australian radio hosts Kyle Sandilands and Jackie O have said they were unaware and are stunned at how a lie detector interview with a teenage girl unfolded live on air. Sandilands, who was in New Zealand at the time of the interview said he wanted to pull out of the segment as soon as the guest revealed her upsetting past.
Listen to the clip below:
What do you think?[ad]